Everyone’s always asking, ‘what is alt lit?’.
I’ve tried to answer it, but instead I should just give them these books I think.
1. ‘Shoplifting From American Apparel’ by Tao Lin.
The story. The tone. Rightly or wrongly, this is what people think of when they think of Tao Lin.
2. ‘Selected Unpublished Blog Postsof a Mexican Panda Express Employee’ by Megan Boyle.
Perfect status update lit.
3. ‘Best Behavior’ by Noah Cicero.
The struggle of making it and by making it, I mean just living in America.
4. ‘I Will Never Be Beautiful Enough To Make Us Beautiful’ by Mira Gonzalez.
I’ll be honest, this isn’t my favorite book, but it is quintessentially ‘alt lit’ and represents a state of mind, a state of being. And a lot of people have latched onto it.
5. ‘Crunk Juice’ by Steve Roggenbuck.
This is Steve at the peak of his powers, before…whatever.
What books would you add?